This is a basic Swiss Roll recipe. The flavored filling can be anything that is thick enough to hold a little shape, but thin enough it is spreadable. Examples include:
4 egg whites
1 t vanilla extract
1⁄2 t salt
1⁄2 c sugar
4 egg yolks
1⁄4 c flour
1 T confectioners sugar
1 c heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line the bottom and sides of a 15 1/2x10 1/2x1-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites, vanilla extract, and salt using an electric mixer in a mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Beat in 1/2 cup white sugar gradually until combined.
- Beat egg yolks in a separate bowl using an electric mixer until thick and lemon-colored. Fold into egg white mixture. Fold in flour carefully until combined. Spread batter into the prepared jelly roll pan. "bang" the pan on the counter to remove excessive air bubbles.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cake springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Loosen sides of cake; turn out onto a towel sprinkled with sifted confectioners' sugar. Peel off paper and let cool to lukewarm, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Roll cake and towel together starting at the narrow end. Let cool completely on a wire rack, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While cake cools, beat cold heavy cream and 1 tablespoon white sugar together in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer just until stiff peaks form.
- Unroll cake and spread with desired filling and/or whipped cream, reserving some for topping. Re-roll cake and let chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Top with dollops of whipped cream and walnut halves. Slice and serve.