300 g bread flour
6 g yeast
6 g salt
15 g sugar
15 g butter, softened (1 tablespoon)
170 ml milk (3/4 cup)
semolina flour (for dusting)
- Tip the flour into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on one side of the flour and the salt into the other side of the flour. Add the sugar, butter, egg and milk, then mix all the ingredients together to form a soft dough.
- Turn the mixture out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, or until soft, smooth and stretchy.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with oil. Place the dough in the oiled bowl, cover and leave to prove for about one hour, or until doubled in size.
- Beat down the dough and divide into 8 equal sized balls. Roll the balls into 2.5 cm/ 1 in thick disks.
- Lightly dust two baking trays with semolina.
- Place four muffins, evenly spaced apart on each of the dusted baking trays. Dust the remaining semolina over the top of the muffins.
- Leave to prove for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the hot plate or a heavy-based frying pan on the stove to a very low heat. Griddle the muffins for approximately 5-6 minutes, then flip over and griddle for another 5-6 minutes on the other side.