1⁄2 oz yeast
2 c water (warm)
4 T sugar
1⁄3 c oil
2 t salt
6 c flour (Maximum amount, could be as low as 4)
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, salt, remaining warm water and sugar and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 450° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. To get a more crusty texture, preheat with a pan in the oven and add a cup or two of water to the pan when you add the dough. Also mist the dough with water before adding to the oven. The steam will help form the crust. f pans to wire racks to cool.
- 4 cups of flour is by far not enough. Keep adding up to 2 cups of flour until you get a kneadable dough.
- Baking at 400 for 15 -20 min will give you a soft crust.
- Add a pan of water (steam) and bake at 450 for 15 min to get a crunchy crust.