This is one of the most common requirements that keep people from completing the coursework. If you already do a meditative/trance practice, you just need to journal it. Otherwise, find one day a week where you can be by yourself (lock yourself in a room and don't let your partner, spouse, roommate, children, and/or pets disturb you). You only need to spend 10 minutes a week, and you don't need to be successful. This is about trying, and seeing what happens. I had nothing even close to succes until my second or third to last attempt, then I lost it again. You just need to write down what you tried and your results.
We're also not really requiring that you go the full Zen Buddist or a full out trance experience. It's more about getting to that state. Some common techniques are:
- in 4, hold 4, out 4, hold 4 to a 120 beats per minute drumming
- Can be modified to fit you, the counts are only my preference
- Should be a pattern and should not be a pattern that is used for anything else.
- Drumming to Journey By is an excellent shamanic druming CD with callback that gives you options of 5 to 72 min trances.
- Any drumming (music or drumming yourself) at 120 BPM or multiple of 120 BPM tend to be trance inducting.
- Focusing on a candle flame
- 2 Powers
- Becoming the tree and imersing yourself into the 2 Powers meditation is a powerful way to get into the state and also do something energentically
- There are many other suggestions at the start of the Trance 1 and Trance 2 courses that you can try.